Monday, January 18, 2010

Does Senator Juan Ponce Enrile Want To Lower Our Cellphone Load?

Look, I totally get what Senator Juan Ponce Enrile wants to do for the country. The dude is all for protecting the rights of prepaid SIM cellphone users. That much is clear. I’m cool with it, conceptually. It’s a completely relevant, practical cause to champion.

But the man may want to consider hiring new copywriters for his propaganda.

Spotted this on the back of a bus, while driving over to SM Mall of Asia this morning.

A few minor quibbles first.

There’s a lot to be questioned on the art direction side.

I’m not a tremendous fan of the shade of orange he chose, although I will concede that it does project a fair sense of kinetic energy and enthusiasm on his part (a little bit of Gaussian blur and judicious use of the ‘clone’ tool on his wrinkles might have helped too).

His pose itself is less than meaningful – at first glance, it looks like he’s shilling some new Chinese knockoff cellphone brand (NOKLA, anyone?), and I fail to see how it reinforces how he’s supposed to be the “Sipag at Talino ng Senado” – although considering how complicated it can be to use today’s generation of cellphones, I suppose they do take a fair amount of “sipag at talino” to operate. I mean, gosh, have you even tried using a Motorola phone lately? I feel like I need three thumbs and an intricate system of finger gymnastics and smoke signals just to type out “WRU N?” or “HUS DIS?” on one of those bad boys!

He won’t be winning any awards for Most Breakthrough Use of Outer Glow on Photoshop In The 21st Century either. But at least they had the restraint not to Lens Flare the hell out of this either.

But let’s get to the point.

Here’s what the copy says.

Patuloy na naglilingkod upang pababain ang cellphone ‘charges’ at ‘load’ natin.

Wait, what?

Part 1 makes a lot of sense. He wants to lower our cellphone charges. I dig that. I hate hidden charges as much as the next person. That’s one of the main reasons I’m switching from Smart back to Globe when my contract holding period is up in April.

But part 2 – I’m not the greatest Tagalog speaker in the world, but just to continue the logic that he so neatly set up in part 1 of the line, is he saying that he’d like to lower our cellphone load too?

Patuloy na naglilingkod upang pababain ang cellphone ‘charges’ at ‘load’ natin.

Am I the only one getting mixed messages here?

(Although considering how much money people waste on sending all sorts of craptacular jokes and allegedly inspiring quotes, perhaps they do deserve to have their load taken away from them…)

[Via http://mdjsuperstar.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment